Thursday, June 7, 2007

Entry #6 - Dec 14, 2006

We interviewed an Iraqi Refugee family in Hisban about 30 minutes outside of Amman. The family of 4 lives on 100 Dinars a month and spends 75 Dinars for the kids to go to school. 1 Dinar or JD is equivalent to $1.40 US which means they live on about $35 per month. Jordan will not allow refugee children to go to public schools, so the parents have to send their kids to a private one. Even though they had no money they wanted us to stay for dinner. Here is a picture of me and the family.

We also interviewed Ahamed Radey, the former President of the Iraqi Sports League who is stationed in Amman and travels frequently to Bagdad. He is very active in the Al-Maleky Government. His comments during the interview were more political then personal. Pictured is my Mid-East Correspondent Hashem wearing a suit.

Some additional cultural trivia:

When men in this part of the world greet each other and they are friends, it is the custom to give a kiss on each cheek and the more you know the person the more times and with intensity you kiss that person. I only had to do this once, so far anyway.

People here drive like maniacs and yet I have not seen an accident even though they occur. The rule of the road is: If I get there first---Move Out of my way.

You get a break from my entries for the next two nights because I am traveling to Aqba for a scuba diving excursion. I finally get a break from all this work.

Also next week pending final approval, I get to go to JIPTC: Jordan International Police Training Center to tape the training of Iraqi Police Cadets.

I will keep you posted.

No comments: