Thursday, June 7, 2007

Entry #4 - Dec 12, 2006

Hashem, my Mid-East Correspondent and I continue to meet and interview Iraqi refugees. Today we met Talit Mahomed who was the Iraqi coach of the Olympic Ping Pong Team and had to flee Iraq two months ago for fear of his life. He left his wife and 3 small children behind because he could not afford to take them. We also met Naseir Kardauh who recently lost his brother in a bombing and had no family left in Iraq. These stories are compelling a we all get emotional hearing about them. Everyone we have interviewed is grateful for the opportunity to talk to Americans. This leaves me with a tremendous responsibility to get the program air time. That is my task ahead.

Attached are a couple of pictures of Hashem interviewing Talit and me with Talit and Naseir.

After the interviews, we needed a change of pace. We had been working too hard without any relaxation. Hashem and I drove to Mt. Nebo which overlooks the Dead Sea and Israel. We saw one of the most breathtaking sunsets I have ever witnessed in my life. It is definitely where heaven and earth connect. Here I am in the hotest spot on earth feeling totally at peace. The attached pic from Mt Nebo does not do justice to what I was blessed to see. After it got dark, we saw the lights of Jerusalem, Jerico, Amman and a panaramic view of the Jordan Valley. It is a breathtaking view.

After Nebo we met up with my friend Tom and drove to Madaba, to experience the most unusal and some of the best chiken I have ever eaten. My hand is still orange from it.

For those of you wondering about JIPTC, I got word yesterday that I was a "reporter in good standing" and allowed to film the Cadets. I am waiting for them to tell me what days I am allowed on base. I'll keep you posted.

Tomorrow, we are scheduled to meet the Iraqi Coach of the Countries Soccer Team.

Stay tuned.....

No comments: